What do you need to know about me?
- I am the kind of person that thinks about everything.
- I was raised in a place where education mattered – and received a good one
- I experienced a complicated family life.
- I was raised in a Lutheran church, but was shaped also by significant religious experiences beyond the church.
- I spent the summer after high school with a mission organization in Taiwan and there began a lifelong journey with the question “What in Christian faith is the faith, and what is culture?”
- My elder brother, a wonderful person, died of an aneurism at the age of 22 the week I began college leading to a very long journey with the question of suffering.
- I got a very fine liberal arts education at St. Olaf College in Minnesota, starting as a math major and ending with two: medieval studies and religion.
- I went to Seminary to study theology and became a pastor somewhat unintentionally.
- I served 7½ years in an inner city parish in Detroit and learned more there about the world and the world of the scriptures than I can explain.
- My marriage didn’t survive, but I am the father of two remarkable daughters.
- My eldest was killed at 19 by a driver who had been drinking.
- Words matter.
- Truth matters.
- The scriptures are genius.